Thursday, March 6, 2008

Flemish Garb for the class is coming together

Basically, I just need to sit down and make an organized plan for how I'm going to complete this project. Right now I feel like I'm paralyzed because I don't know where to begin.Plus I enjoy research and collecting fabrics a lot more than actually putting together the garb--even though I always love the finished product.



I figure this is as good a place as any to give myself an outline that will ease my mind.

1.) Officially rework my patterns and layouts for the kirtle, gown, caul, bum roll, kerchief and both partlets. Sleeves are fine and ready to be cut, lined, and sewn. Smock needs hemming and neck finished.

2.) Choose fabrics and notions for each item and officially designate them. Make a list of fabric and notions cost.

3.) Pattern out bodices of kirtle and gown on grid fabric--fit onto outer shell of each piece--fit to body.

4.) Pattern out one partlet on grid fabric, use for both. Allow for simple ruffle on white layer.

5.) Cut other bodice layers for kirtle and gown. Baste and fit--allow an inch for fitting. Use weaving cane to stiffen any areas with lacing loops. Finish and leave bottom open for skirts.

6.) Cut flat front for kirtle skirt, cut 2 cartridge pleat back panels for kirtle skirt.

7.) Cut 3 panels cartridge pleating for gown skirt.

8.) Cartridge pleat kirtle back panels and gown skirt panels until eyes bleed.

9.) Attach skirts to bodices--swear profusely because fitting pleats (and setting cartridge ones) is a bitch like none other. Add lacing loops and check everything for tensions--refit after crying about fitting errors.

10.) Cut and fit partlets with white linen partlet getting the small ruffle, starch, and press. Sew on a hook and eye for each closure area.

11.) Measure, cut and fit caul.

12.) Measure, cut, and fit kerchief,

13.) Wing it on the bumroll. Scraps are out friend. Make it smaller than a Elizabethan roll.

14.) Put everything on for final fitting. Be proud of myself and proud of the fact that I can now teach other people to make these and how to not wear wench gear--I HAVE AN ALTERNATIVE.

15.) Freak out with stage fright at teaching people about this class.

YiStTD,

Gillian

No comments: